Friday, December 5, 2014

What coaches want defensively

Defense its a word you hear over and over when coaches talk about winning championships.  I remember my college coach asked me what do you prefer offense or defense; I said defense because I loved the challenge of being able to stop the best player, I was aggressive and welcomed every challenge.  In most cases high school players rarely understand a defensive concept, because their coach lets them get away with it because they are the best player. In college those players struggle because they do not understand the  very concept of defense; help-side, jump to the ball, on the ball, on the line, up the line, press defense, zone defense, gambling for steals, helping your teammate etc.  As a collegiate coach if a player can score and play defense she is the talk of the tournament or game. I recently spoke to a friend of mine, and she spoke about a former player of hers named Lauren Holiday, who would defend you 94ft., and dare you to try to get by her. This is a shotout to all the high school defenders, the pride you take in your defense now will aid your development faster in college. Here are a few qualities coaches look for in defenders:

Quick feet
Ability to anticipate
Ability to recover
Do not reach for the steal every time
Jump to the ball
Listen
Use your feet, and not your hands



No comments:

Post a Comment